Monday, January 19, 2009

run forest run!

So, I don't get a chance too often to post anything on the blog, so I thought today on my day off for the holiday I would update everyone on our training for the Moab 1/2 Marathon in March.

Andi and I have been doing are best the last few weeks to get into shape and work our way up to the 13.1 mile race. This will me the 2nd time we have run it as I talked Andi into running it in 2007. Last year I didn't get drawn out and Andi was pregnant so even though she had a spot we didn't go. This year should be fun because we talked both of our dad's into running it too. They have started their training as well.


We are also training for a triathalon in April, so we are spending our Monday mornings in a spin class and Wednesday or Thursdays at the university pool. Since the weather hasn't been too bad we have even been able to train a little outside.

I have been working hard to learn how to swim, since I have never really been a swimmer and have horrible technique. Today, at the suggestion of a friend we did what was called a Brick - bacically you immediately get off the bicycle after an hour long spin class and go hop right on the treadmill for a run. Because you have been sitting and the blood flow to your legs has been fairly restricted your legs litterally feel like bricks--at least I thought so. This trains you for the bike-to-run transition for the triathalon.

This week is a 5 mile long run and we will have 9 more weeks of training until the 1/2. I am also contemplating the St. George Marathon, but we will see how these first two events go. Andi said no way to the 26.2 miles. I thought it might be fun since I will turn 26 this year.

9 comments:

d.c.r.k.soptich said...

I hope you are REALLY doing this on your day off, otherwise I would have to tell on you if you did it at work :) Good luck with the marathon and triathalon...Andy is awesome for doing that. Dustin started being obsessed with the Tri's last year and he can't convince me to do them. How long is the one you are doing?

sarahflib said...

Good for you guys! I did the Moab half marathon a couple of years ago and it was quite the experience. I'm especially impressed by the triathlon, though. You Thompsons are going to be one fit crew.

J Fo said...

I'm totally impressed! I HATE running! So, have fun, I'll cheer ya on...but I'll never do it! :)

Sheryn's Blog said...

Curtis & Andi, good luck with the marathon, but I think I will stick with Curves. I like your pictures. This is such a fun way to keep in touch. Send me an e-mail and I will give you 3 blog addresses. Aunt Sheryn Berghout

Katie M. said...

Awesome! Moab 1/2 is quite a beautiful run, so good news is, you'll be distracted! You'll rock it! can't wait to hear how it goes. I'm cheering you on!

Megan said...

You guys are so awesome! I would never have the guts to do anything close to this! I am totally jealous that you guys are so dang fit and I'm just... not. :)

Crystal said...

I think you should go for it, a full marathon! However you are making me feel very lazy and in need to kick it up a notch. I guess that's good.

Sheena said...

Hey, you two are awesome! Good luck training for your events. I loved the Moab 1/2 in 2007, and it was fun seeing you two there. One marathon is a good number, in my opinion. :) I ran the Logan Marathon in 2007 and that is all I plan on doing... It is amazing, but definitely gives your body a beating. Take care!

Kelli Haub said...

You guys are crazy