Monday, May 17, 2010

How would you handle this?

Our babies are 4 months old now and I would say doing quite well. They are growing like crazy. Their smiles are heart melting. They are sleeping 6-9 hours a night (Cooper is usually closer to 6 and Kennedy is usually closer to 9). I just have one dilemma that if adjusted, I think would make all the difference in the world.

We're more or less following the "babywise" program. They eat, then they're awake, then they sleep and the cycle repeats itself every three hours except at night. They really do keep themselves on this schedule for the most part these days and it's wonderful. The problem I'm having is that they seem to think their night starts after their 4:00 or 5:00 feeding. Babywise says just wake them up for their next feeding and put them right back to bed if they don't want to stay awake. That is what we end up doing because they are SO sleepy. What we end up with though is one or two babies who think it's morning time at say 3:30-4:30 AM. If we could change these times from 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM, mommy would be in heaven.

I've tried the following:
Feeding them when they wake up and putting them right back to bed. They're usually pretty happy. They just kick and talk until they fall asleep about an hour later. Thismorning, however, they were very mad and only went back to sleep for a second.
Going on a walk after their 4:00 PM feeding until they eat at 7:00. This meant they didn't get a real nap, they were a little bit grumpy for the most part, and were super tired when we got back. They actually slept pretty well that night. Come to think of it, maybe I'll try that one again.

We've got a few other tricks up our sleeves, but I thought I would ask for suggestions from any of you who might have any fresh ideas.

5 comments:

sarahflib said...

Hmmm, I don't know that I have any awesome ideas. But I do think the 4-7 stretch could be a little bit long for babies who are only four months old. Have you tried letting them take a little power nap at 4:00 and waking them up again at 5:00, then maybe putting them down to bed at 7:00 or 7:30? Or keeping them awake for awhile, but not quite until 7:00? You could slowly push their bedtime back: first 6:00, then 6:30, then 7:00. The gradual change might be easiest on their little bodies.

Dayna said...

I agree with that comment. One thing I have found with gabe is that if I exhaust him, it sometimes works and then sometimes doesn't. Just stick to a very strict bedtime routine no matter what time you end up putting them down as long as you do the same routine they really start to pick up on it. That is what finally helped gabe sleep through the night, but it took a while. GOOD LUCK!

Crystal said...

Hey I wanted to see more pictures! If it were me I would deal with the grumpies and keep them awake and then put them down at 7pm. Like Dayna said, I think once you get them on the schedule and stick to it they will adjust leaving you happier too.

NJ said...

Caleb has been doing the same thing for the last little bit!! Let me know what works for you!!

Florida4x4chick said...

I'm glad you're liking the "Babywise" thing so far. As for what's going on, I'd say try to keep them awake after the afternoon feeding like you tried and then make sure they have a set wake up time in the morning to start the day off consistent. Not sure if you're already doing that but as much as I hated it in the morning I would wake the kids up at 7am and start their day then, that way their routine was consistent. Let me know how things are going, sorry I've been out of the loop so much. I can't believe they're already so old!!! I REALLY hope I get to come to the reunion, pretty much I'm dying to see your kiddos and Kelly's too!